Two Arrested in Former NFL Player’s Shooting Death

Two men have been arrested in connection with the fatal shooting of a former college football and NFL player.

Antwan Franklin, 22, and Erick Garcia, 24, were arrested this month and accused of killing 25-year-old Du’Vonte Lampkin, the Dallas Police Department said on Wednesday.

The arrest announcement comes several weeks after the fatal shooting of Lampkin, who was a defensive tackle for the University of Oklahoma and, in 2018, signed an NFL contract with the Tennessee Titans. He was waived a few months after signing.

According to jail records, Garcia and Franklin are being held on charges of capital murder by terror threat.

Du’Vonte Lampkin
Two people have been arrested in connection with the fatal shooting of Du’Vonte Lampkin, a former football player at the University of Oklahoma. Above, Lampkin celebrates a defensive stop against TCU at Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium on November 11, 2017, in Norman, Oklahoma.
Brett Deering/Getty

The shooting occurred on May 5 at about 10:10 p.m. local time and officers were called to a residence at 500 S. Ervay Street, police said.

Officers found Lampkin lying on the floor “with a single gunshot wound,” police said.

“Dallas Fire and Rescue responded and the victim died at the scene,” a press release said.

The 911 call was made by a witness who went to check on Lampkin after he did not answer several phone calls.

“The investigation determined the victim was staying at the location, rented, while waiting to move into a new apartment,” police said.

Police released surveillance video on May 18 that appeared to show the two suspects in the apartment complex where the fatal shooting took place. The video appeared to show them walking near an elevator in the apartment building and eventually leaving.

The Dallas Morning News obtained an arrest warrant for the two suspects and reported that it said Franklin planned to rob Lampkin, and the two were friends. According to the affidavit, Garcia was seen on surveillance footage carrying Lampkin’s backpack that “was known to be full of money,” shortly after Lampkin entered the building.

The affidavit also said that the two suspects exchanged messages on social media discussing the robbery, with Garcia telling Franklin that he was waiting for Lampkin in the stairwell, the Dallas Morning News reported.

Lampkin’s body was discovered approximately 24 hours after the shooting.

Newsweek was directed to a press release from the Dallas Police Department after reaching out for comment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.